6 Popular Peaks:
Bhagirathi Parvat I ( 6856m ), Bhrigupanth ( 6772m ), Kedarnath (Main) ( 6940m ), Kedarnath Dome ( 6831m ), Thalay Sagar ( 6904m ), Mandani III ( 6529m )
3 High Passes:
Mayali Pass ( 5108m ), Auden's Col ( 5490m ), Patangani Dhar Top ( 5100m )
3 Serene Lakes:
Kedar Tal ( 4708m ), Vasuki Tal ( 4914m ), Bheemtal ( 1333m )
4 Mind-boggling Glaciers:
Khatling Glacier, Jogin Bamak, Ratnagiri Glacier, Rudragaira Bamak
5 Tranquil Rivers:
Bhilangana, Mandakini, Vasuki Ganga, Kedar Ganga, Bhagirathi
Dehradon to Uttarkashi ( 1400), Drive, 6 - 7 hours.
- Check in to the hotel
- Buy important missing stuffs
- Meet the rest of the team
Uttarkashi to Gangotri ( 3140m), Drive, 3.5 hours.
- Drive to Gangotri early morning
- Check in to guest house
- Explore and Acclimatize
Gangotri to Bhoj Kharak ( 3496m), Trek, 4 hours.
- Trek through birch forests
- Cross the tree line
- Camp on meadow
Bhoj Kharak to Kedar Kharak ( 4279m), Trek, 4 hours.
- Cross few rockfall zones
- Camp on meadow
- Rest out the day exploring and enjoying the surrounding view
Trek to Kedar Taal ( 4708m), Trek, 4 hours.
- An short trek for the day.
- Glacier section and steep ridge walk
- Enjoy grand views of the Thalaysagar and Bhrigupanth surrounding the lake
- Trek back to Kedar Kharak
Kedar Kharak to Patangani Dhar Base Camp (4500m), Trek, 2 hours.
- Few steep sections
- Short walk
- Very small Campsite
Cross Over Patangani Dhar ( 5100m) to Dhabba ( 4700m), Trek, 6 hours
- Steeper climb
- Cross over Patangini Dhar
- Descend down to Rudragaira valley
- Scree Zone
- Camp at Dhabba
Dhabba to Moraine Camp ( 4800m), Trek, 5 - 6 hours
- Level ridge walk
- Scree zone
- Get first glimpse of Auden's col
- Grand views of Jogin and Gangotri peaks.
- Also know as Auden's Col Base Camp
Moraine Camp to Auden's Col Advanced Base Camp ( 5000m), Trek, 3 - 4 hours
- Smaller walk, on glacial moraine
- Camp on glacial moraine, below the col
Cross Auden's Col ( 5500m) to Khatling Glacier Campsite ( 5000m), Trek, 10 hours
- Crevassed sections, rope up the team
- Around 4 hours to the Col
- Great views of the surrounding and the famous Rabbit ears
- descend to Khatling glacier is steeper
- rappelling on fixed rope required
- negotiate highly crevassed zone
- follow the guide's instruction closely
- camp on Khatling glacier
Khatling Glacier to Khatling Snout Campsite ( 3800m), Trek, 6 - 7 hours
- Cross the rest of Khatling glacier
- highly crevassed and tricky
- follow the guide's instruction closely
- camp beyond the snout of the Bhilangana river
Cross River To Chowki ( 3600m), 4 - 5 hours.
- Cross Bhilangana river
- cross a rockfall zone
- camp on greens
Chowki to Masar Taal ( 4500m), 4 - 5 hours
- gentle + steep climbs
- visit the serene and holy Masar Taal
Cross Mayali Pass ( 5200m) to Vasuki Taal (4300m), 7 hours
- around 2 hours to the base of the pass crossing Masar Top
- gentle steep climb to Mayali pass, crevassed
- descend down to Vasuki taal campsite
Vasuki Taal to Kedarnath ( 3600m), 4 hours
- visit the holy Vasuki Taal
- climb up to Vasuki Top
- descend down to Kedarnath
Kedartnath to Gaurikund, Drive To Haridwar.
Buffer Day 1
Buffer Day 2
- Gangotri Temple - 1 of the 4 holy shrines of the Hindus
- Goumukh - the snout the Gangotri Glacier, the start point of Bhagirathi River, a major tributary of River Ganga which is also known as the lifeline of India
- The glacial lake of Kedar Tal surrounded by Thalaysagar and Bhrigupanth is also considered pious by the Hindus. The name translates to Shiva's Lake where Lord Shiva is the god of destruction according to indu mythology
- Its perhaps the easiest and shortest of all the treks in the region
- Auden’s Col, 5490m, a high altitude mountain pass connecting Rudugaira valley and Bhilangna valley.
- Rudragaira peak, Jogin group of peaks, Bhagirathi group of peaks and Kedar Dome.
- The roughness offered by the Khatling glacier.
- The twin lakes of Masar Taal and Vasuki Taal. Holy, Picturesque and Serene.
- Mayali pass at 5300 meters offers great views of Thalay Sagar, Kedar dome and other peaks of Gangotri region
- The holy shrine of Kedarnath
- Kedar Taal and Patangini Dhar
Gangotri 3 passes trek - One of the most coveted trek in the Indian Himalayas, the Patangani Dhaar, Auden's Col and Mayali Pass trek is a dream for any trekker who loves the Himalayas to the core and dares to go deeper and extreme to seek the spiritual blessings of a High Altitude Himalayan Trek.
However, this trek is not for the faint hearted. Its a semi technical trek not advisable for novice trekkers at all. Only very few of the experienced trekkers dare to do this trek. Towering peaks of the Gangotri region, high altitude and rugged terrain of the Garhwal Himalayas, glacial moraines and crevasses makes the crossing of the passes extremely challenging. Only the ones with a calm head and daring attitude are successful on this trek. Experience and previous exposure helps. On the other side, its a mazes of longitudinal and lateral crevasse of the Khatling glacier. The trek is very remote and once you cross Gangotri, no proper civilization is witnessed until you finish the trek and reach Kedarnath.
Auden's Col is named after Sir John Bicknell Auden, who first crossed the pass in 1939. Since then, this route has fascinated lots of trekkers and mountaineers who loves to accept challenges and gets high by the rugged Himalayan Aura.
Starting the trek from Gangotri, the route crosses 3 passes to reach Kedarnath. Both Gangotri and Kedarnath are 2 of the most pious destinations of Hinduism. We cross by Gaumukh, the snout of the river Bhaghirathi, which is a tributary of River Ganga, also believed as India's Lifeline. A mythological story goes like there used to be a saint in ancient India, who used to worship all of the 4 holy shrines of the Hindus - Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath, on the same day. As I write this, I am also imagining the Himalayas and snow condition of Ancient India.
There are other smaller routes and direct approach to Auden's Col and return, but we believe that if you are to experience this trek in all its might, this is the itinerary you should follow. We have listed other different itineraries of taking on ther Auden's Col as well in the below pointers.
AUDEN'S COL - GHUTTU TREK