Kedar Tal - Jogin ABC Trek
A Himalayan High Experience
+ Quick Info
- Duration: 8 Days, Dehradoon to Dehradoon
- Highest Altitude: 4708m
- Grade: Moderate + ( learn more )
- Best Time: May, Jun, early Jul, mid Sep, Early October
- Terrain: Meadows, forest , snow field, glacier, icy, crevasses, boulders
- Activity Type: Trek
- Trail Type: Same Exit Entry Point
- Starts At: Gangotri
- Ends At: Gangotri
- Region: India - Uttrakhand
- Country: India
- Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant, Dehradoon
- Nearest Rail Head: Rishikesh, Uttrakhand
- Mobile Network: BSNL till Gangotri and near by areas
- Internet Option: No
- Is Cloak Room Available: Yes
- Generic Food Menu: Indian, Garhwali
+ Travel Description
"Shiva's Lake" as the name translates to the trek to Kedar Tal is one of the easier to do and smaller treks in the Gangotri National Park which otherwise is known for the more 'famous and difficult' Auden's Col and Kalindi Khal trek.
The trek to Kedar Tal starts at Gangotri - one of the four holy shrines of the Hindus, not to mention the winding and colorful drive up to Uttarkashi and then to Gangotri which starts to give you a rich experience of the hills, its people, terrain and beauty.
From Gangotri, the trek takes you through the gorge of the Kedar Ganga passing by the forest which slowly converts to bushes, then to grasses and then finally found only in sparse between rocks as you gain altitude very fast, since Gangotri itself is over 3000 meters from where you start your trek.The first campsite of Bhojkharak is already over tree line. Another 2 days of trek brings you to the ultimate setting of a serene lake surrounded by whote snow cladded peaks giving you great views of Thalay Sagar and Bhrigupanth. The glacial lake of Kedar Tal is located in a spectacular settings with the elegant peaks of Bhrigupanth and Thalaysagar making a perfect background. Continued walks on the moraine from Kedar Tal takes us to the Advanced Base Camp of Jogin Group
This trek is over moraines in high altitude, following a river emerging from a glacial lake, and hence offers a unique experience to understand the geographical features of the Himalayas. Trekking in the Gangotri National park also offers an opportunity to sight wild life as it is home to number of protected species.
Do not forget to check the Trek Album on our Photo Gallery Page
Want Us To Help you Arrange For This Epic Journey ?
We believe that a smaller group gives you the best of the Himalayan Experience and specialize in organizing customized groups for this travel. Do get in touch with us if you want us to arrange this for you.
You can use the link - Request Customized Private Travel Plan and fill the form to drop us an email with your specific requirements and service required. We will get back to you with the detailed plan and quotation as per the group size and service requested.
+ Why Is This Special
- Gangotri Temple - 1 of the 4 holy shrines of the Hindus
- Goumukh - the snout the Gangotri Glacier, the start point of Bhagirathi River, a major tributary of River Ganga whihc is also known as the lifeline of India
- The glacial lake of Kedar Tal surrounded by Thalaysagar and Bhrigupanth is also considered pious by the Hindus. The name translates to Shiva's Lake where Lord Shiva is the god of destruction according to indu mythology
- Its perhaps the easiest and shortest of all the treks in the region
+ Reviews & Testimonials
Read All Our Reviews OnlineWe keep our reviews gladly, transparently and boldly on Google unlike hiding it on our own website and showcasing only the positive ones. Heartful thanks and gratitude to all of our Trekkers who took the effort to review us after they completed their trek with us. We understand none is perfect, but with proper experience, intention and feedbacks, one can achieve perfection. Our reviews are a result of our hardwork and intention to serve with the best intentions.
Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:00:00 AM
Copyright Himalayan High