Key Himalayan Geographical Offerings Of The Rumtse Tsomoriri Trek
9 Popular Peaks:
Chamsher Kangri ( 6950m ), Lungsher Kangri ( 6666m ), Nun ( 7135m ), Saser Kangri I ( 7672m ), Saser Kangri II ( 7513m ), Saser Kangri III ( 7495m ), Mentok Kangri 2 ( 6262m ), Mentok Kangri 1 ( 6161m ), Mentok Kangri 3 ( 6225m )
6 Serene Lakes:
Chagar Tso ( 4193m ), Kyagar Tso ( 4671m ), Kyun Tso ( 4982m ), Ryul Tso ( 4985m ), Tso Moriri ( 4522m ), Tsokar Lake ( 4531m )
1 National Parks Or Forest Reserve:
Tsomoriri Wetland Reserves
Media Gallery For Rumtse Tsomoriri Trek
click to see all videos, photos, route maps, etc. for this trek
Rumtse Tsomoriri Trek Daywise Itinerary
- Day 01: Arrive in Leh
- Day 02: Rest and Acclimatization in Leh
- Day 03: Explore Ladakh. Visit Nubra Valley via Khardungla and return to Leh
- Day 04: Drive to Rumtse. Trek to Kyamar. (4383m, 4 hours )
- Day 05: Trek to Tisaling 4800 via Kyamar la (4870m) and Mandalchan La (4996m, 7 hours )
- Day 06: Trek to Pangunagu (4398m) via Shibuk la (5016m, 6-7 hours )
- Day 07: Trek to Nuruchan (4600m, 5 hours )
- Day 08: Trek to Gyama Barma via Horlam Kongka La (4900 m) and Kyamayur La (5410 m )
- Day 09: Trek to Korzok via Yalung Nyau La (5 440 m)
- Day 10: Trek by Tsomoriri. Rest Day By Tsomoriri
- Day 11: Explore Tsomoriri and nearby
- Day 12: Drive back to Manali via Keylong or return to Leh
Why Should You Do The Rumtse Tsomoriri Trek
- Grand Vista of the Rupshu Plains and the Tsomoriri Lake The grand vista of the Tsomoriri Lake and Rupshu plains surrounded by some of the high snow capped peaks of Ladakh in the morning sunlight is a breathtaking view and once in a lifetime moment which all the Himalayan High Seekers must experience.
- Sighting the rare wildlife of the Tsomoriri Wetland Conservation Reserves. Kiangs, Tibetan Gazelle, Lynx, Mountain Goats, Blue Sheep, Marmots,Tibetan Wolves and the elusive Snow Leopard. Birds namely the Black Necked Cranes, geese, gulls and grebe are commonly sighted nearby the lake.
- The interactions with the Changpas, or Tibetan Nomads and their way of life with their livestock are an eye opener and a priceless value-addition to your travel experience.
- Photographer's Delight - Ladakh is as it is astonishing, everyone knows, but this trek a photographer's merry-land with so many natural elements and their interactions to capture and preserve the moment.
- The culture and villages of Ladakh are an experience in itself.
Rumtse Tsomoriri Trek - Elaborate Description
Ladakh has always fascinated the soulful travelers and photographers with its unmatched beauty. The stunning landscape of Ladakh ranges attracts a lot of tourists, trekkers, mountaineers, photographers, wildlife enthusiasts and cultural travelers from around the World. The creamy, beige and irregular patches of red and violet with some unique rock sculptures made by the artistic wind are just enough to set your imaginations flying out of bound...
If we had to suggest you a trek in Ladakh which can make you experience most of it, the Rumtse Tsomoriri Trek will top the list. Top it up with a climb to Mentok Kangri, and you gift yourself a trek bonanza !
With breathtaking views of the twin lakes of Tsokar and Tsomoriri guarded by the tall peaks of the Changtang platue in the Rupshu plains, this is a wonder trek experience which all the passionate travelers and wander souls must not miss.
Rumtse which is the starting point of this trek is just about 65 Kms drive from Leh and it takes about 3 hours of drive to reach from Leh - the capital of Ladakh. Amidst the ranges of Ladakh in the North, Zanskar in the West, The Great Himalayas to the South and the flat Tibetan Platue in the East, lies the Rupshu plains where this fairyland is of Tsomoriri Wetland Conservation Reserves is. The interactions with the Changpas, or Tibetan Nomads and their way of life with their livestock are an eye opener and a priceless value-addition to your travel experience. This land here is a heaven for nature lovers and a merryland for photographers.
Wildlife of the Tsomoriri Wetland Reserves which includes the animals like Kiangs, Tibetan Gazelle, Lynx, Mountain Goats, Blue Sheep, Marmots including the carnivores like Tibetan Wolves and the elusive Snow Leopard. Birds include the Black Necked Cranes, geese, gulls, grebe and others.
Starting from Rumtse, this trek crosses more than 5 passes and passes by the campsites of Tisaling, Pangunagu, Nuruchan, Gyama Barma to get us to pristine water of the Tsomoriri Lake. The campsite are unbelievably beautiful on this trek. This trek gets streanuous as we cross the passes every day and on somedays even 2 passes in a single day. The passes of Kyamar la (4870m), Mandalchan La (4996m), Shibuk la (5016m), Horlam Kongka La (4900 m) , Kyamayur La (5410 m ) and Yalung Nyau La (5440 m) are very interesting and tests the mental endurance of even a regular trekker.
As one gets to Tsokar after few hard days of trek, one just feels elated and extremely joyful. Further on we move towards the Korzok Phu and spend a few days around the Tsomoriri Lake to experience the serenity, beauty and get a rare sight of the wildlife if the Rupshu.
If you want to further challenge yourself and also get the most out of this fairyland, you need to climb the summits of Mentok Kangri 6250 meters to satiate your thirst fro adventure. Many Himalayan High Seekers do that. You may check for the itinerary in details on the following link - Mentok Kangri Summit with Rumtse Tsomoriri Trek