6 Popular Peaks:
Kun ( 7077m ), Nun ( 7135m ), Z1 ( 6250m ), Z2 ( 6152m ), Kang Yatse 1 ( 6400m ), Kang Yatse 2 ( 6200m )
2 High Passes:
Kongmaru La - 5130m ( 5130m ), Matho La ( 4950m )
2 Tranquil Rivers:
Markha River, Zanskar
2 Beautiful Remote Villages:
Leh, Stok Village
1 National Parks Or Forest Reserve:
Hemis National Park
- Day 01: FROM DELHI TO LEH
- Day 02: FROM LEH TO LEH, VIA - CHEMO MONASTERY, SHANTI STUPA
- Day 03: FROM LEH TO SKIU, VIA - CHILLING
- Day 04: FROM SKIU TO MARKHA
- Day 05: FROM MARKHA TO THOCHUNGTSE, VIA - HANKAR
- Day 06: FROM THOCHUNGTSE TO NIMALING
- Day 07: REST AND EXPLORATION DAY
- DAY 08: FROM NIMALING TO CHUSKIRMO, VIA - KONGMARU LA
- DAY 09: FROM CHUSKIRMO TO SHANG PHU
- DAY 10: FROM SHANG PHU TO GANGPOCHE , VIA - SHANG LA
- DAY 11: FROM GANGPOCHE TO MONKORMO , VIA - MATHO LA
- DAY 12: FROM MANKORMA TO STOK KANGRI BASE CAMP
- DAY 13: REST AND ORIENTATION DAY AT BASE CAMP
- DAY 14: FROM STOK KANGRI BASE CAMP TO STOK KANGRI BASE CAMP, VIA - STOK KANGRI SUMMIT
- DAY 15: EXTRA BUFFER / RESERVED / CONTINGENCY DAY
- DAY 16: FROM STOK KANGRI BASE CAMP TO LEH, VIA - MANKORMO, STOK VILLAGE
- 6153 meters, An Extremely High Altitude summit, climbing Stok Kangri is an accomplishment in itself and can be treated as an introduction to mountaineering in the Himalayas.
- No mountaineering techniques required: This is probably a very rare opportunity to trek to a summit of a mountain 6153 meters high with no skills of mountaineering techniques, though having it helps. We give a orientation training in the base camp about basic rope skills.
- View of K2, Second highest mountain of the World, in Karakoram: On a clear day, K2, Nun-Kun and Nanga Parvat reveals itself from the summit.
- Classic Trek Through the Markha Valley. The entire valley is visible from the top and there are other versions of the trek too in which you can climb Stok Kangri via the Markha Valley.
- Sighting the rare wildlife of the Hemis National Park. Mountain Goats, Marmots and other wild life. Seeing mountain goats is easier as they don't fear humans too much. Fair chances of seeing these on this trek. Marmots can also be heard and seen. If lucky, you may sight the rare Snow Leopard as well !
- The culture and villages of Ladakh are an experience in itself.
Stok Kangri is a dominant trekking peak in Ladakh which anyone visiting Leh cannot ignore as it rises right on one side of the city. For anyone planning to trek in Ladakh, its very unlikely that they wont know about this popular trekking peak which climbs as high as 6153 meters and requires no mountaineering skills to reach its summit. Although having the correct skills help a lot.
Stok Kangri is a trekking peak, but that does not take away the dangers of climbing in that high altitude and is the primary challenge of any trekker - Its super high altitude ! The peak requires good planning for success. The mountain is very efficient in rewarding those with proper physical toning and mental endurance, but at the same time it rejects the over confident trekkers with classic mountain problems.
The ridge leading to the summit of Stok Kangri is sharp after the shoulder with good exposure on the other side. While, the amount of snow it has early in the season can tire even the strongest of the trekkers, snow-less ridge is not a simple one too, which requires negotiating few boulders and tricky sections involving deep falls.
The peak receives lots of snowfall starting October end and is snow covered till early June. Trekking on the snowy ridge is just one side of the challenge but the most important barrier between a trekker and the summit is the Altitude, which can only be beaten by Acclimatization. Thats where, our itinerary of clubbing the beautiful Markha Valley trek with Stok Kangri gives so much success on the summit of Stok Kangri. It gives enough time for the body to acclimatize well to the altitude and conditions of Ladakh before attempting the Summit of Stok Kangri. In return, it leaves a wonderful experience to be cherished for lifetime.
Markha Valley trek is one of the best treks to be taken in the Ladakh Himalayas. Belonging to the part of the ancient Silk Route and that of the ancient Indus Valley Civilization, it is a historical route. The Markha Valley trek is very popular trek amongst the foreign trekkers visiting Ladakh but is very less done by the domestic trekkers in India.
Read more about the Markha Valley Trek on the link - Markha Valley Trek, A Must Do Trek In Ladakh