Sunderdhunga Kanakata Pass Trek
About The Sunderdhunga Kanakata Pass Trek
Key Himalayan Geographical Offerings Of The Sunderdhunga Kanakata Pass Trek
Changuch ( 6322m ), Maiktoli ( 6803m ), Mrigthuni ( 6855m ), Nanda Devi ( 7816m ), Nanda Khat ( 6611m ), Nanda Kot ( 6861m ), Panwali Dwar ( 6663m ), Sunanda Devi ( 7434m ), Tharkot ( 6099m ), Bauljuri ( 5922m )
Dhakuri Pass ( 2940m ), Kanakata Pass ( 4524m )
Nag Kund ( 4464m ), Devi Kund ( 3650m )
Mrigthuni Glacier, Maiktoli Glacier
Pindar River, Sunderdhunga River, Saryu River, Sukhram Nala
Khati, Lokharkhet, Kharkiya, Jatoli
National Parks / Forest Reserves:
Sunderdhunga Reserved Forest
Why Should You Do The Sunderdhunga Kanakata Pass Trek
- Days of wonder in the lap of one of the very beautiful valley in the Kumaon - The Sunderdhunga Valley
- The beautiful peaks of Maiktoli, Mrigthuini, Tharkot and Panwali Dwar hovering over you, alluring you closer to it, day by day, seconds by seconds
- An opportunity to experience some of the most remote villages of Kumaon - namely Khati and Jatoli
- Walking through the dense forest of rhododendrons, birch, fir and then to the high altitude meadow of Baluni, toped up with cultural experience through the locals and villages offers a unique way to experience the Himalayas of Kumaon
- Challenging trek to the Kanakata Pass and its cross over
- The beautiful Nag Kund surrounded by rocks all around
- Duration: 10 Days, Kathgodam to Kathgodam
- Highest Altitude: 4548m
- Grade: Challenging ( know trek grades )
- Best Time: May Jun Sep Oct
- Terrain: forest, meadows, glaciers, rocky, rock slabs, scree
- Activity Type: Trek
- Trail Type:
- Starts From: Lokharkhet
- Ends In: Lokharkhet
- Region: India - Uttrakhand
- Country: India
- Nearest Airport: Pantnagar, Uttrakhand
- Nearest Rail Head: Kathgodam, Uttrakhand
- Travel Guide: Where and How To Reach Lokharkhet
- Mobile Network: BSNL till Khati and Ritang
- Internet Option: No
- Is Cloak Room Available: No
- Generic Food Menu:
'Beautiful Stones' as the name translates to is itself intriguing enough to go explore the place - The Valley of Beautiful Stones.
Offering great views of Maiktoli, Mrigthuini, Tharkot and Panwali Dwar, the Sunderdhunga Valley trek is one of the most beautiful trek of Uttrakhand. This trek used to start from Lokharkhet, and Dhakuri used to be its first camp, a very beautiful one indeed ! New jeepabe road has opened up till Kharkiya which skips the campsite and saves a day. Although, if you are trekking to experience the Himalayas and its beauty, we recommend stopping at Lokharkhet trek to Dhakuri on the next day. It passes through the Dhakuri pass, which offers good challenge at the beginning of the trek .
This trail follows the same route as that of the adjacent glaciers of Pindari and Kafni, before separating at the village of Khati. The trek takes you through dense forest, some of the remote villages of Kumaon and then to the ravine of the Sunderdhunga river to the beautiful campsite of Kathaliya, which then acts as your Exploratory base camp of the beautiful valley. Here you are surrounded by some of the most beautiful peaks in the region. Trek upto Maiktoli base camp and then to the Baluni top, Sukhram caves offers a spectacular view of the surrounding, something which will remain with your forever.. Devi kund, is a small hike from Baluni Top.
With great views from the campsite of Devikund, we put Panwali Dwar on our back and trek further up towards Nag Kund and then the Kanakata Pass. As the terrain slowly becomes difficult and extremely rocky, the desire to stand atop Kanakata Pass becomes stronger too.
After leaving behind the campsite of Banakar, we head for the ultimate - The cross over of Kanakata Pass. Its a difficult day, not the ascent, but the terrain on the other side of the pass is extremely treacherous. A knowledgeable guide and fit, fearless trekkers make a good team for this trek.
Media Gallery For Sunderdhunga Kanakata Pass Trek
click to see all videos, photos, route maps, etc. for this trek
** click to expand and read
+ Short Travel Itinerary
- Day 1: Drive from Kathgodam to Lokharkhet
- Day 2: Trek Lokharkhet to Dhakuri
- Day 3: Trek Dhakuri to Jatoli
- Day 4: Trek Jatoli to Kathaliya
- Day 5: Explore Maikatoli Base Camp. Return to Kathaliya
- Day 6: Trek to Baluni Top, Camp Further At Devi Kund
- Day 7: Trek Devi Kund to Banakar
- Day 8: Cross Kanakata Pass via Naag Kund to Pattharkhuni
- Day 9: Trek Pattharkhuni to Jatoli
- Day 10: Trek Jatoli to Kharkiya. Drive to Kathgodam
** There is a motorable road which goes till Kharkiya and can save a day. We have known Dhakuri as one of the very beautiful campsites in the Himalayas and hence suggest camping there.
** On the last day, start early to reach Kharkiya in good time. You can reach Kathgodam by the same night if vehicles are ready.
You can have a look at other versions of trek in this same region
Sunderdhunga Valley Trek
Pindari Glacier Trek
Kafni Glacier Trek
Pindari Kafni Glacier Trek
+ Mandatory Packing List
- 3 sets of DryFit Tshirts
- 2 set of track pants (no jeans)
- 4 sets of socks ( 2 cottons, 2 woollen)
- 1 or 2 set of thermal inner ( upper & lower)
- Fleece Jacket or Pullovers
- Down Jacket (can be rented from us )
- Waterproof High Ankle Trekking Shoes (can be rented from us )
- Waterproof/Windproof Trekking Trouser (can be rented from us )
- Waterproof/Windproof Trekking Jacket (can be rented from us )
- Headlamp (can be rented from us )
- Trek Pole, Waterproof Gloves, Poncho, Rucksack, Fleece Inner Gloves, Waterproof Gloves, Gaiters, Spikes, Sleeping Bag Inners ( provided by us as complimentary use )
- Polaroid UV Protected Sunglasses or Snow/Glacier Goggles
- 2 Water Bottles & Tiffin Box with Spoon, 1 cup
- Skull Cap Wollen or Fleece
- Toilet Paper Roll, Wet Tissue
- Personal Care Kit ( lip balm, moisturizer, sunscreen, etc )
- Personal Medical Kit (basic or regular medicines )
+ Reviews & Testimonials
Read All Our Reviews OnlineWe keep our reviews gladly, transparently and boldly on Google unlike hiding it on our own website and showcasing only the positive ones. Heartful thanks and gratitude to all of our Trekkers who took the effort to review us after they completed their trek with us. We understand none is perfect, but with proper experience, intention and feedbacks, one can achieve perfection. Our reviews are a result of our hardwork and intention to serve with the best interest of the trekking community as a whole and not just for our own business.
+ Cancellation Policy
When Should You Book?
We typically get booked about 2 - 5 months in advance. It is advisable to book this much in advance as you get early bird discounts and also your travel costs like flights/hotels/trains etc are much cheaper and confirmed if you book well in advance.
Rules Of Cancellation:
- Up to 30 days or more before the trek start date - Full Refund of the total paid amount
- Between 30 days to 20 days before the trek start date - 70% refund of the invoiced amount. 30% of the invoice amount will be charged as the cancellation penalty.
- Between 20 days to 0 days before the trek start date - No refund. Free rescheduling or transfer of slot is allowed.
- Transfer Of Seat to Different Batch/ Trek: No Loss Of Money, valid up to 1 year from Invoice date. It can be availed up to 15 days before Trek Start Date by sending an email.
- Transfer of Seat to Friend/ Family: No Loss Of Money, valid up to 1 year from Invoice date. It can be availed up to 5 days before Trek Start Date by sending an email.
- Validity: This rule is only applicable for treks above 6000 meters and graded as Challenging or Challenging+
Find detailed info on Cancellation & Refund Policy
Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:45:00 PM
Copyright For All Contents Reserved For Himalayan High