Key Himalayan Geographical Offerings Of The Mentok Kangri Climbing Expedition
12 Popular Peaks:
Chamshen Kangri ( 6950m ), Chong Kumdang Ri I ( 7071m ), Chong Kumdang Ri II ( 7004m ), Kun ( 7077m ), Lungsher Kangri ( 6666m ), Mamostong Kangri ( 7516m ), Nun ( 7135m ), Saser Kangri I ( 7672m ), Saser Kangri II ( 7513m ), Saser Kangri III ( 7495m ), Teram Kangri I ( 7464m ), Teram Kangri III ( 7383m )
5 Serene Lakes:
Chagar Tso ( 4193m ), Kyun Tso ( 4982m ), Ryul Tso ( 4985m ), Tso Moriri ( 4522m ), Tsokar Lake ( 4531m )
1 National Parks Or Forest Reserve:
Tsomoriri Wetland Reserves
Why Should You Do The Mentok Kangri Climbing Expedition
- 6250 meters, An Extremely High Altitude summit, climbing Mentok Kangri is an accomplishment in itself and can be treated as an introduction to mountaineering in the Himalayas.
- No mountaineering techniques required: This is probably a very rare oppurtunity to trek to a summit of a mountain 6250 meters high with no skills of mountaineering techniques, though having it helps. We give a orientation training in the base camp about basic rope skills.
- View of K2, Second highest mountain of the World, in Karakoram: On a clear day, K2, Nun-Kun and Nanga Parvat reveals itself from the summit.
- Grand Vista of the Rupshu Plains and the Tsomoriri Lake The grand vista of the Tsomoriri Lake and Rupshu plains surrounded by some of the high snow capped peaks of Ladakh in the morning sunlight is a breathtaking view and once in a lifetime moment which all the Himalayan High Seekers must experience.
- Sighting the rare wildlife of the Tsomoriri Wetland Conservation Reserves. Kiangs, Tibetan Gazelle, Lynx, Mountain Goats, Blue Sheep, Marmots,Tibetan Wolves and the elusive Snow Leopard. Birds namely the Black Necked Cranes, geese, gulls and grebe are commonly sighted nearby the lake.
- The culture and villages of Ladakh are an experience in itself.
Mentok Kangri is a mountain masif in the Rupshu plains of Ladakh, or Changtang. It has 3 summit points, conveniently named as Mentok 1, 2 and 3 with heights varying between 6100 - 6250 meters. Mentok 1 at an altitude of 6,250 meter is a challenge any Himalayan High Seekers would like to accept.
With marvelous and enchanting views the Tsomoriri Lake and its wetlands surrounded by high rising peaks of the Changtang, near to the Tibetan Platue, this is a wonder trek experience which all the passionate travelers and wander souls must not miss. The landscape of Ladakh ranges will win your heart at once with its charm and beauty. The creamy, beige and irregular patches of red and violet with some unique rock sculptures made by the artistic wind are just enough to set your imaginations flying without control.. To top it over, we have this high peaks and passes with snow patches on top of which furls the colorful Buddhist prayer flags. Oh yes, this region has few more elements of nature which multiplies the beauty of the region by several folds. We have the vast blue waters of the Tsomoriri Lake visible from all around the top which injects enough cool and patience in your heart, which on the other hand is excited by the unbelievable beauty of surrounding landscape and the summit challenge.
Not just that !! We are also gifted by the rare sightings of the wildlife of the Tsomoriri Wetland Reserves which includes the animals like Kiangs, Tibetan Gazelle, Lynx, Mountain Goats, Blue Sheep, Marmots including the carnivores like Tibetan Wolves and the elusive Snow Leopard. Where there is water, there are birds, and here there are many - specially the Black Necked Cranes, geese, gulls and grebe are commonly sighted nearby the lake.
Starting from Korzok, a small settlement near the blue waters of the Tsomoriri, the trek to the summit of Mentok Kangri climbs quickly to its base camp above 5300 meters, from where we attempt its summits. The altitude gain is rapid, and hence we need to follow a proper acclimatization protocols to be successful and make sure we do not rush through it.
Trekking in Ladakh can sometimes be heartbreaking with false-summits, and this trek is no different. Staying focused and enjoying the climb is the only way to get pass that feeling.
Any 6000 meter peak requires good physical conditioning, high mental endurance, well acclimatized body and a cheerful soul. The summit climb to Mentok Kangri is no different. Starting by mid-night, we firstly negotiate the loose moraines in the darkness for a long time as we near the base of the summit ridge. The day dawns slowly as we keep going with occasional rest, negotiating the loose rocks of all dimensions. As time passes, we keep gaining altitude making the going bit difficult with every minute. A steady pace and a motivated spirit is the key to success and soon we see the prayer flags furling at a distance marking the summit.
The view from the summit is one of the reason many people climb the mountains. Mountain ranges of the surrounding reveals itself in a new avatar which is worth taking all the pain. The summit of Mentok Kangri offers astonishing views of the Great Himalayan Range, the Markha Valley denoted by the high elegant looking peak of Kang Yatse, plains of Tibet and the twin peaks of Chamsher and Lungsher all rising above 6400 meters. Spangnak Ri does not fail to inspire you either.. The grand vista of the Tsomoriri Lake and Rupshu plains surrounded by some of the high snow capped peaks of Ladakh in the morning sunlight is a breathtaking view and once in a lifetime moment which all the Himalayan High Seekers must experience.