Sunderdhunga Valley & Maiktoli Base Camp Trek
A Himalayan High Experience
About The Sunderdhunga Valley & Maiktoli Base Camp Trek
- Duration: 9 days, Kathgodam to Kathgodam
- Highest Altitude: 3900m
- Grade: Moderate + ( know trek grades )
- Best Time: May Jun Sep Oct Nov Dec
- Terrain: forest, meadows, glaciers
- Activity Type: Trek
- Trail Type: Same Exit Entry Point
- Starts At: Lokharkhet
- Ends At: Lokharkhet
- Region: India - Uttrakhand
- Country: India
- Nearest Airport: Pantnagar, Uttrakhand
- Nearest Rail Head: Kathgodam, Uttrakhand
- Travel Guide: Where and How To Reach Lokharkhet
- Mobile Network: BSNL till Khati and Ritang
- Internet Option:
- Is Cloak Room Available: No
- Generic Food Menu:
Whats So Special About This Journey?
- Days of wonder in the lap of one of the very beautiful valley in the Kumaon - The Sunderdhunga Valley
- The beautiful peaks of Maiktoli, Mrigthuini, Tharkot and Panwali Dwar hovering over you, alluring you closer to it, day by day, seconds by seconds
- An opportunity to experience some of the most remote villages of Kumaon - namely Khati and Jatoli
- Walking through the dense forest of rhododendrons, birch, fir and then to the high altitude meadow of Baluni, toped up with cultural experience through the locals and villages offers a unique way to experience the Himalayas of Kumaon
'Beautiful Stones' as the name translates to is itself intriguing enough to go explore the place - The Valley of Beautiful Stones.
Offering great views of Maiktoli, Mrigthuini, Tharkot and Panwali Dwar, the Sunderdhunga Valley trek is one of the most beautiful trek of Uttrakhand. This trek used to start from Lokharkhet, and Dhakuri used to be its first camp, a very beautiful one indeed ! New Jeep road has opened up till Kharkiya which skips the campsite and saves a day. Although, if you are trekking to experience the Himalayas and its beauty, we recommend stopping at Lokharkhet trek to Dhakuri on the next day. It passes through the Dhakuri pass, which offers good challenge at the beginning of the trek .
This trail follows the same route as that of the adjacent glaciers of Pindari and Kafni, before separating at the village of Khati. The trek takes you through dense forest, some of the remote villages of Kumaon and then to the ravine of the Sunderdhunga river to the beautiful campsite of Kathaliya, which then acts as your Exploratory base camp of the beautiful valley. Here you are surrounded by some of the most beautiful peaks in the region. Trek upto Maiktoli base camp and then to the Baluni top, Sukhram caves offers a spectacular view of the surrounding, something which will remain with your forever.. Devi kund, is a small hike from Baluni Top. If you are there to seek more high, you may trek higher to Nag Kund and also to Kanakata Pass if desired.
Sunderdhunga Kanakata Pass Trek
** click to expand and read
+ Short Travel Itinerary
- Day 1: Drive from Kathgodam to Lokharkhet
- Day 2: Trek Lokharkhet to Dhakuri
- Day 3: Trek Dhakuri to Jatoli
- Day 4: Trek Jatoli to Kathaliya
- Day 5: Explore Maikatoli Base Camp. Return to Kathaliya
- Day 6: Explore Sukhram Caves. Return to Kathaliya
- Day 7: Trek to Baluni Top, Explore Devi Kund
- Day 8: Trek Baluni Top to Jatoli
- Day 9: Trek Jatoli to Kharkiya via Khati
- Day 10: Drive Kharkiya to Kathgodam
** There is a motorable road which goes till Kharkiya and can save a day. We have known Dhakuri as one of the very beautiful campsites in the Himalayas and hence suggest camping there.
** On the last day, if you finish the trek in good time, you may come down to Bagheshwar to save time for the next day travel to Kathgodam
You can have a look at other versions of trek in this same region
Sunderdhunga Kanakata Pass Trek
Pindari Glacier Trek
Kafni Glacier Trek
Pindari Kafni Glacier Trek
+ Reviews & Testimonials
Read All Our Reviews OnlineWe keep our reviews gladly, transparently and boldly on Google unlike hiding it on our own website and showcasing only the positive ones. Heartful thanks and gratitude to all of our Trekkers who took the effort to review us after they completed their trek with us. We understand none is perfect, but with proper experience, intention and feedbacks, one can achieve perfection. Our reviews are a result of our hardwork and intention to serve with the best interest of the trekking community as a whole and not just for our own business.
+ Cancellation Policy
When Should You Book?
We typically get booked about 3 - 6 months in advance. It is advisable to book this much in advance as you get early bird discounts and also your travel costs like flights/hotels/trains etc are much cheaper and confirmed if you book well in advance.
SPECIAL CANCELLATION TERMS DURING COVID19:
(1st OCTOBER 2020 TILL 31st MARCH 2021 )
Considering the uncertainties during the COVID19 pandemic, we have eased our cancellation rules.
- Up to 3 days or more before the trek start date - Full Refund of the total invoiced amount. No questions asked.
- 2 days to 1 day before the trek start date - We will either issue you a trek voucher with a value of 100% of the trek fee or refund 85% of the trek fee if you want us to transfer the money back.
- Transfer Of Seat to Different Batch/ Trek: No Loss Of Money, valid up to 1 year from Invoice date. It can be availed up to 1 day before Trek Start Date by sending an email.
- Transfer of Seat to Friend/ Family: No Loss Of Money, valid up to 1 year from Invoice date. It can be availed up to 1 day before Trek Start Date by sending an email.
- Validity Of The Covid19 Cancellation Policy: The above-listed cancellation rules apply only to bookings for which the trek start date falls between 1st October 2020 till 31st March 2021.
Find detailed info on Cancellation & Refund Policy
Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:01:00 AM
Copyright Himalayan High