Trekking is the most thrilling adventure for the trekkers. Trek to the Himalayas feels amazing and changes your life completely. We have even seen an introvert turn into a very mingling and communicative personality after a trek. A perfect trekking company makes us enjoy not just the beauty of the place, but also changes our character and makes us strong as a person and humble as human beings. Trekking to the Himalayas is an exciting journey to mesmerizing and naturally beautiful places with amazing landscapes. However, the mountains and hilly terrains require some tips to be successful and extract the best out of the activity. If you are in love with trekking, then you will have to follow some tips while Trekking to the Himalayas. Let us understand it perfectly with the current article.
10 Tips That Are Important For Better Experience In Any Himalayan Trekking
A trek to the Himalayas is alluring for most individuals. They are very excited about the best trekking trip. But do you know what are some of the things that need to be kept in mind while trekking? Get professional tips about trekking in the Himalayas
- Always Check Your Trekking Shoes Carefully Before Starting: Firstly, trekking needs special shoes for doing it safely and you should not be trekking in sneakers or flip-flops as that will risk twisting your ankle. Trekking shoes should at least be lightweight, ankle-locked, well-cushioned, well-insulated, breathable, airy and waterproof at the same time. If you are an experienced trekker, you should already be having trekking shoes in your home. However, before leaving your home please check the sole and stitches because when you don't use your shoes and pack it in corners, the stitches and pastings can come off after a day or two while on the trek.
- Always Check Your Rucksack and Carry All The Required Gears: Your rucksack/backpack plays a very important role in keeping all your required trekking gears inside a single bag. It has to be packed very efficiently such that you can take out any item without disturbing other items inside the bag. A perfect backpack when packed well will become your best friend on the trek and you won't want to keep it away from you. It supports your shoulders and hips if the items are balanced well.
For more detailed tips, read
HOW TO PACK YOUR RUCKSACK FOR YOUR HIMALAYAN TREKS
HOW TO USE LAYERING, PACK LIGHT AND STILL BEAT THE COLD
ESSENTIAL THINGS TO CARRY FOR TREKKING IN THE HIMALAYAS
- Rainwear or a Poncho Is A Must On Any Himalayan Trek: If you are trekking in the Himalayas, then you must carry protective rainwear, be it any time of the year. The Himalayas are prone to weather surprises and it can rain anytime. You must not only protect your limited clothes, food, warm jackets, socks etc but also yourself. If these items get wet, it does not just become heavy for carrying on your back but also can become a big problem and you can be devoid of warm clothes or food on the remote Himalayan trek.
- Always Go With Professional Guides: Trekking is not similar to usual tourism. It requires specialised gears and knowledgeable professionals. On any Himalayan trek, you will venture into very remote and risky terrains which require professional expertise to guide you well. You may risk your life or get lost in the wild, attacked by wild animals, fall off a cliff, drown in a river, get flown off by a gushing river, slip and break your bone, or invite many other risks if you ignore this.
- Carry Adequate Safety Gears: Another rule of safety is to always analyse your risks and terrain properly, if required take professional help. Carry adequate safety gears once the safety analysis is done. You might need a coil of rope, ice axes, crampons, gaiters, etc.
- Do Not Forget Emergency Medical Kit: High altitude is risky and human beings adapt to it differently. It might even kill you if you do not care about it. So firstly read and be more knowledgeable about the physiological changes due to altitude. Carry emergency life-saving drugs related to High Altitude like Dexamethasone and Nifidipine.
Know more about it on
HIMALAYAN MEDICAL KIT | A MUST HAVE
HIGH ALTITUDE SERIOUSNESS | BETTER KNOW IT BETTER
- Always Plan Your Food and Fuel Well: You will spend a lot of energy while trekking. You need good food to stay energetic on the trek. While that's important, it's more important to ignore rich spices, meat and other non-digestible foods in the mountains. Stick to simple food. Also, do note that you will need fuel and stoves to cook your meal. It should not be more which will be unnecessarily heavy. On the other hand it should not be less otherwise you will end up not being able to cook and eat.. Food and fuel should be carried separately so that fuel does not spoil your raw food.
- Check Your Tent Quality & Sleeping Arrangement: It's when you sleep that you recover better for the next day and acclimatize well. Sleeping well directly results in a better trek experience. Ask any trekker if he slept well on his last trek. He will say he had problems sleeping on a few nights. That happens. A comfortable sleeping arrangement is much required. Food and altitude affect your sleep. Check your tents, mattresses, sleeping bags, etc. Your Tent should be sturdy and suitable according to the climate and wind speed.
- Competency Of Trek Operator: If you are hiring a trek company to take care of your logistics, it's very important to check their competencies as per the grade of the trek and do research on their past experience. Many fatal accidents happen in the Himalayas due to leadership quality and equipment quality.
- Trek Eco-Friendly: Always carry less plastic, bring them back. Ask your local guide to follow the clean low-impact trekking policies that don't harm nature.
.Finaly, there is many more to know and learn about trekking and its planning. I have blogged about many of these topics on this website. Do read them.
Monday, May 16, 2022 4:53:00 PM